>> Local Information
Llanfihangel yng Ngwynfa possibly derives its name from the township of Cadwnfa, later known as Gwynfa (a place in the hills) The yng Ngwynfa is added to distinguish it from all the other Llanfihangels in Wales - Llanfihangel y Pennant, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn and so on.
This small village is really a hamlet, situated half a mile off the main Llanfyllin-Llanwddyn road, to the northwest of Welshpool. It is a steep village, dominated by St Michael's church, known as the 'Church on the Hill', a landmark for miles around.
On the outskirts of the village is the cemetery, a council estate of six houses, and a couple of privately owned bungalows. There is The Goat Inn at the centre, and the village hall, opened in 1981 and now the 'hub' of the village. Older villagers are predominantly Welsh speaking, whilst the children are increasingly bilingual. Farming is the, chief occupation, mostly sheep and cattle rearing with some dairying.
The war memorial stands at the centre of the village, and behind it is a typical Welsh bwythyn (cottage), called Poplar Cottage. This was once the home of E. D. O'Brien, the gifted Eisteddfod conductor and concert compere (1911-1953).
A fair, known as Ffair Llan, used to be held on 9th May every year, when store cattle and sheep were sold to visiting dealers. Piglets were brought by horse and cart, with a mesh strung over to prevent their escape. With the advent of stock wagons, stock could be taken to markets at Llanfyllin, Oswestry or Welshpool.
Llanfihangel is reputed to have had a ghost, known as Ysbryd Ffynnon Fach (Ghost of the Little Well). A local farmer, walking home one night, did see something white and frightening there. Wondering whether to turn and run, he nevertheless decided to approach very quietly, only to find the shopkeeper's white cow happily chewing the cud! Mothers, too, used the poor ghost as a means of getting youngsters home early, by telling them it would 'get them' if they were out after midnight!
Information taken from The Powys Montgomeryshire Village Book, written by members of the Powys Montgomeryshire Federation of Women's Institutes and published by Countryside Books, via www.visitoruk.com/Welshpool.